University Policies

De Broc and The University of Law

De Broc School of Business is a faculty of The University of Law. As such all policies and procedures for the University (unless stated otherwise), also apply to De Broc students. For further information please scroll down and consult the various sections, speak to your tutor or contact us via

View all policies of The University of Law.

You and your data

At The University of Law we treat the personal data that you share with us, with the utmost care and privacy. We comply fully with The Data Protection Act 1998 and will only process your personal data in the normal and proper conduct of academic and business operations.

For more details, please view our Terms and conditions of website use and data protection policy.

Our website uses cookies so please also view our Cookies and privacy policy.

Terms and conditions
Getting in

Can I use my previous experience?
You may be able to claim credits for your course, based on:

  • Previous courses you've taken in the same subject area
  • Practical experience of work in the industry
  • Training you have completed as part of a job

For more information, contact Also, please see the Recognition of Prior Learning policy and the Recognition of Prior Learning Application form.

When can I start?
All undergraduate courses start in September.
All postgraduate courses start in either September or January.
For specific start dates, please check the relevant programme pages.

Can I get help with fees?

How will you learn

We want you to have a good learning experience during your time at the University. You will have access to:

  • Great personal and subject tutors
  • A range of different learning activities
  • Regular feedback
  • A good learning environment
  • Support to help you succeed

We will:

  • Work with you to improve and update our teaching
  • Encourage you to take an active role in shaping your learning
  • Help you to recognise your achievements and where you need to improve
  • For full details see the Learning and Teaching Policy
Getting support

Whether the support you need is specific to you or of a more general nature the University offers the following:

Learning Difficulties and Disability

Concerned about the demands made by each course? See

All students are required to tell us about any learning difficulties, disabilities or medical conditions that may require emergency first aid, so that we can put appropriate arrangements in place where necessary.

See the Disability Support Policy for details on:

  • When and how to inform the University
  • How to obtain a Disability Support Agreement (if required)
  • Action to take if a Disability Support Agreement is not awarded

We are committed to equal opportunity for all its students and comply fully with all applicable legal requirements in the Equal Opportunities Act 2010 through our Diversity Policy.

See the Diversity Policy to find out:

  • What the University aims to achieve and in what areas
  • Who ensures application of the policy
  • Your part in ensuring that the University applies its policy
  • How to make a complaint

You may find that you need the help of an objective listener during your period of study with us. We therefore provide access to external counsellors.

See the Counselling Policy to find details about:

  • The service provided
  • Access to the service
  • Confidentiality and exceptions to the rule
  • Access to data compiled
  • How to make a complaint

In addition to the University on-line library, each Centre also has traditional library facilities. See the Library Services Policy to find out what we aim to provide in terms of:

  • The learning environment
  • The staff available
  • The working structures of the library from book loans to fines
  • Training and user support
  • How to make a complaint
Who are our staff?
Employability (Careers and Pro Bono)

We provide an Employability Service which in an ever-demanding workplace aims to provide you with support in finding work and practical experience. The Employability Service offers a wealth of different advice.

See the Employability Service – Statement of Service (Students) protocol for details about:

  • The general ‘service' provided
  • Those providing the service
  • The professional requirements of the service
  • When you will have access to the service (pre-acceptance / current and other students/ alumni)
  • What the ‘service' expects from students
  • Giving feedback
  • Making complaints
  • Disclaimers

See the Employability Service – External Opportunities (Placements) Policy for details about:

  • External opportunities
  • Placements
  • Shadowing
  • Advice work
  • Insight days
  • Public legal education

See the Employability Service – Equal Opportunities Policy for details about

  • Employability Services' relationship with Recruiters and Recruitment Agencies

See the Employability Service – Confidentiality Policy for details about:

  • Equal opportunities

See the Employability Service – Statement of Service (Recruiters) protocol for details about:

  • Confidentiality and exceptions

The general framework within which the University works in the area of Employability through its Careers and Pro Bono Departments can be found here.

We also have an over-arching policy that covers all of the above areas. For full details, see the Enabling Student Development and Achievement Policy.

Have your say

We want to hear from you about:

  • application and admission
  • induction
  • programme design, development and approval, including delivery
  • learning and teaching
  • student enhancement (learning resources, employability, learning support, pastoral care)
  • assessment
  • external examining
  • programme monitoring and review
  • working with other institutions
  • policy development
  • higher education review

Want to get involved?

You can give your opinion by:

  • Filling in a survey
  • Making a suggestion on the Wish Board
  • Joining a focus group or online discussion
  • Joining a user group to test new systems/materials
  • For more information, visit Have Your Say on ELITE

Or you can help make changes within the University by:

  • Volunteering to be a class representative
  • Applying to become a member of the Academic Board
  • Applying to become the next University Student Association President (paid position)
  • For more information, visit Have Your Say on ELITE

For full details see the Student Engagement Policy.

The unexpected

What if I want to take a break from my studies?

You can choose to leave your course and still come back to finish it later. Please contact Student Services at your relevant centre for more information:

For full details, please see the Intermission Policy.

What if the course I want to attend is cancelled before I start?
Sometimes it may be necessary for us to cancel a course before it starts. Contact if you have any queries. For full details, see the Course Cancellation Policy.

What happens when the University plans to close down a programme?
In very rare circumstances, it may be necessary for us to close courses that are already running. Student interests are protected. For full details, see the Programme Closure Policy.

All about assessment

The over-arching Assessment Policy can be found here.

If you have any specific queries about your assessments, please refer to your Student Handbook, the Assessment Regulations for your course, or speak to someone in the Assessment Office at your centre.

If I'm unhappy with my grade, what can I do?

There are some circumstances in which you can appeal your result – see the Academic Appeals and Reviews Policy.

Please note that there is no appeal against the academic judgement of the Board of Examiners or an External Examiner.

You can appeal if you believe that the Board of Examiners have misapplied the Regulations of the Board or there are new circumstances or circumstances not previously made known to the Board and you have a good reason why you are only now making them known.

The exact wording and detail varies from course to course – so please read the relevant Assessment Regulations carefully.

Should you wish to submit a Stage One Appeal, you can find the application form here.

When things go wrong

Unhappy about something?

You should always try to resolve it informally first by:

  • speaking to the relevant department (eg Student Services, IT, etc)
  • speaking to your tutor

If you're still unhappy, you can make a formal complaint by:

Please note – the Complaints Policy does not cover:

If you have any questions, feel free to contact

See the Student Complaints Policy for more details.

For details of outcomes from complaints submitted to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA), please see this summary.